Stream

Sunday, May 19, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 9

Week nine was a cold snowy week which means more movies!


Below are my movies of the week:

February 24
              Les Misérables (Directed by Tom Hooper) This was the last of the major Academy Award nominated movies I had yet to watch. I honestly knew nothing about this story before watching it. The cast was very strong but it still felt a bit disconnected on screen. I am not much of a musical fan but I enjoyed that part of the film and felt it fit in nicely.

              Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (Directed by Stephen Herek) Another classic from my childhood. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter star as 2 slackers on the verge of flunking high school and thus losing all hope of becoming rock gods. That’s when they get help from a time traveling phone booth and George Carlin.

              Basic (Directed by John McTiernan) Military drama starring John Travolta and Sam Jackson from the director of Die Hard. I like the mystery and conspiracy that this movie creates. However, one big drawback has to be the scene with Travolta interviewing a suspect and he is lying on a table posed like a Playboy playmate. No Thanks John!

              Kevin Hart: Seriously Funny (Directed by Shannon Hartman) Another funny Kevin Hart comedy special. His bit about Shaq’s flopping skills in the NBA was my favorite part.

February 25       
              The Man with the Iron Fists (Directed by RZA) Very fun Kung Fu movie directed by RZA of The Wu-Tang Clan. Over the top death scenes and interesting characters help make this movie a success in my eyes. I would love to see a sequel or a series of sequels come from it.

February 27    
              Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (Directed by Michael Pressman) For my ninth birthday my parents took my brother, my best friend and I to the arcade and then to see this movie. Compared to the first TMNT movie this one was a lot more kid friendly. Though it is very cheesy this is still my favorite of the original trilogy. After the movie the 3 of us all pretending to be our favorite turtle (I was Leo) tried to re-enact the Ninja Rap dance to a Vanilla Ice tape I had.

February 28    
              Meet the Robinsons (Directed by Stephen J. Anderson) One of the best non-Pixar Disney movies I have ever seen. The animation and colors were beautiful. The story was original and very heartfelt.

              For A Good Time Call (Directed by Jamie Travis) I decided to watch this because Justin Long was in it and I am a fan. The premise of this movie is a bit crazy; two rivals become roommates and start a phone sex hotline. The character development between the rivals was a bit predictable but the hotline calls and callers more than made up for it.

March 1          
              Galaxy Quest (Directed by Dean Parisot) What if the cast of Star Trek were needed to save an alien race in the "real world"? Tim Allen stars in this Sci-Fi comedy about the cast of a former space exploration show that tours the convention circuit but are then needed to help save an alien race that believes the show was real.

March 2          
              The Day After Tomorrow (Directed by Roland Emmerich) Mr. Emmerich loves to make disaster movies. He also loves to make crazy over the top disaster movies. This is the first of many disaster movies from him I will be watching this year.

              Real Genius (Directed by Martha Coolidge) Yes I was only 3 when this movie came out but it is still lots of fun to watch. Val Kilmer stars in this comedy as a child genius on the verge of graduation college who with another child genius work on creating a laser that unbeknownst to them will be used by the military.

              Minority Report
(Directed by Steven Spielberg) Mr. Spielberg knows how to make a futuristic Sci-Fi film. The storyline and technology really sold me on the movie. I still remember this was the first movie I saw in theaters shortly after I had my second brain surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment