Stream

Sunday, May 19, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 5

Week five introduced me to one of the best movies I have seen in a long time during week five, The Perks of Being a Wallflower.


Below are my movies of the week:

January 27      
              Tropic Thunder (Directed by Ben Stiller) Ensemble comedy directed by Ben Stiller. Completely over the top in its ridiculousness but still a total joy time and time again. Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise prove they know how to bring the funny.

              Volcano (Directed by Mick Jackson) I think Roland Emmerich would give 2 thumbs up to the destruction caused by the Volcano in this movie. The second of the Volcano themed disaster movies of 1997 was less about character development and more about total destruction.

January 28      
              Brave (Directed by Mark Andrews & Steve Purcell & Brenda Chapman) Not the best Pixar movie ever made but still more enjoyable and heartfelt then Cars 2. Story wasn't super original but I still enjoyed the twists they threw in. It also doesn't hurt that I am a sucker for a redhead.

              D2: The Mighty Ducks (Directed by Sam Weisman) Pee Wee Hockey team goes to the Junior Goodwill Games and takes on the thugs from Russia, I mean Iceland. Not as good as the original but still a bright spot from my childhood.

January 30      
              In Time (Directed by Andrew Niccol) No One Should Be Immortal! No matter what people say I think Timberlake is a good actor. Interesting plot where once you hit age 25 you clock officially begins to count down. To live longer than a year you must work for it, that is unless someone gives you a century to live.

January 31
              Ready to Rumble (Directed by Brian Robbins) Oliver Platt does not look like a professional wrestler at all. But in this comedy from 2000 featuring WCW wrestlers and a feisty Martin Landu he became a World Champion. Growing up I was like the main characters in the movie, yet I knew it was fake. It is a fun cheesy movie for longtime wrestling fans. As a side note this movie was released when WCW was in rapid decline popularity wise. The decline was happening so fast they actually had David Arquette win the World Title at one point in a match.

              Hotel Transylvania (Directed by Genndy Tartakovsky) Typical Adam Sandler comedy but this time everyone was animated. I enjoyed the goofiness that you get with most of Sandler's movies. I can see this becoming a series of movies just because there were so many characters and animation allows them to do more.

February 1
              The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Directed by Stephen Chbosky) I only know a few people that have seen this movie but they all said I really needed to see it. They were RIGHT! This movie wasn’t a typical High School outcast movie. This movie was full of emotion and made you feel the isolation and loneliness that we all felt at one time or another in High School. I cannot recommend this movie enough.

February 2
              Deep Impact (Directed by Mimi Leder) What is with Hollywood turning out similar Disaster films in the same year? First in 1997 it was Volcano and Dante's Peak. Then in 1998 it was Deep Impact and Armageddon. This movie was more about the buildup to the Asteroid coming and people dealing with the impending doom.

              Groundhog Day (Directed by Harold Ramis) What if you had to live the same day over and over and over again? If I was in Bill Murray's shows I probably would have done the same things he did. Commit robbery, kidnapping, ice carving and destructive driving. I'm not so sure I would want to learn the piano. This is one of my dad’s favorite movies so when I watch it, it is usually with him.

              Superman vs. The Elite (Directed by Michael Chang) This animated feature was adapted from an issue of Action Comics. At first I wasn't too in to the movie but as it went on it became more enjoyable and turned in to one of the better Animated Comics I've seen.

              Tremors 2: Aftershocks (Directed by S. S. Wilson & Andy Wilson) The Graboids adapt to become heat seekers in this sequel. Cheesy special effects and bad storyline prove that they should have stopped after the first Tremors. Sadly though, they went on to make 2-3 more sequels after this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment