Stream

Sunday, May 19, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 6

Week six was another busy, yet relaxing, week of movie watching.


Below are my movies of the week:

February 3
              The Girl (Directed by Julian Jarrold) Alfred Hitchcock was a sick and twisted bastard. This film focuses on the rocky relationship between Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren who after declining his romantic advances was just about tortured while filming The Birds and again while filming Marnie. I had always heard that Hitchcock was a bit out there but this was a bit shocking and at times sadistic to say the least.

              A Late Quartet (Directed by Yaron Zilberman) A longstanding 4 person string quartet struggle with love, life and betrayal. This movie was recommended to me by a friend. The movie has s very strong cast including Christopher Walken and Phillip Seymore Hoffman. It was good but also at the same time parts felt forced.

February 4
              Face/Off (Directed by John Woo) John Woo at his best! Except for one line at the end of the movie, "Dad, I'm sorry I shot you," I love this movie.

              Ultimate Avengers: The Movie (Directed by Justin Gross & Grey DeLisle) This animated feature shows that Marvel still has a ways to go in order to catch up to DC when it comes adapting comic storylines for animated movies. The original story that the movie is based off of is great but this movie fell short in my opinion.

              Monsters, Inc. (Directed by Pete Docter & Lee Unkrich & David Silverman) Classic Pixar! Fantastic animation to go along with a very creative story. Billy Crystal and John Goodman make a great team in this comedy that plays well for both children and adults. I am looking forward to the prequel to this movie later this year.

February 5
              Kindergarten Cop (Directed by Ivan Reitman) It's Not A TUMOR!!! This is still one of the movies I quote most with friends. Tough cop goes undercover as a teacher and hilarity ensues, especially because the teacher is Arnold Schwarzenegger.

February 6
              Superman: Doomsday (Directed by Brandon Vietti & Lauren Montgomery & Bruce Timm) Superman vs. Doomsday, Superman Dies but returns without his moral compass. Who will stop him? Another very well done DC Animated movie.

February 7
              Over the Hedge (Directed by Karey Kirkpatrick & Tim Johnson) Bruce Willis, Garry Shandling, Steve Carell, William Shatner, Wanda Sykes, Nick Nolte and Eugene Levy star in this animated comedy about wildlife and the suburbs meeting. This is still one of my favorite movies to come from DreamWorks animation.

              South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Directed by Trey Parker) I still remember when the very first episodes of South Park originally aired in 1997. I was a sophomore in High School and we were able to convince my English teacher to let us watch the episodes in class. We made sure to rub that in the faces of the sophomores the following year when we were juniors. This movie is just like the show, outrageous gross fun. It’s also great that it was nominated for an Oscar.

February 8
              Beasts of the Southern Wild (Directed by Benh Zeitlin) I knew nothing about watching this movie before I started it. After watching it I am in awe of the story and especially the lead actress Quvenzhané Wallis. It isn't often that a nine year old girl can take control of a movie with such more and emotion. Set in "The Bathtub" a small community the lives on an island separated from the rest of the world by a levee. The story si told mainly from the perspective of Hushpuppy (Wallis) as she deals with a storm flooding the island and her home and a father who has a temper but is dying. It is a very emotional movie but one well worth watching.

February 9
              Out Cold (Directed by Brendan Malloy & Emmett Malloy) Do you ever feel like watching a movie that is stupid in plot and premise but is still fun to watch? That is what Out Cold is for me, nothing more and nothing less.

              Dr. No (Directed by Terence Young) The Bond movie that began them all. I don't remember the last time I watched this movie but James Bond is still James Bond and I am a fan. Some of the fighting scenes were completely ridiculous but that is to be expected at times in this franchise.

              Demolition Man (Directed by Marco Brambilla) I remember when this movie came out almost 20 years ago. I was 11 and my best friend and I wanted to see it so bad. We had the Taco Bell posters and cups that were used in the marketing campaign. Sadly we had to wait until the following spring to see it on video because our parents wouldn't let two 11 year olds see an R rated movie, smart parents. This is a classic action movie pitting Stallone vs. Snipes with Sandra Bullock & Denis Leary thrown in. Part of me hopes that this movie doesn't represent the future because I can never imagine Pizza Hut being classified as the ultimate form of Fine Dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment