Stream

Sunday, May 19, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 4

I was home sick for a couple days during the week which allowed me to get some extra movies in. Nothing beats watching a movie when you're home sick and resting. 


Below are my movies of the week:

January 20
               Blackballed: The Bobby Dukes Story (Directed by Brant Sersen) Very funny cast but not a funny movie. Documentary style movie about a former Paintball star coming back to redeem himself. This was a Netflix suggestion and on the surface it looked entertaining with the cast. But in the end it wasn't funny and it will make me question future Netflix suggestions.

              The Cabin in the Woods (Directed by Drew Goddard) I do not like horror movies at all. I am too much of a lightweight to sit through them without jumping out of my seat more then a couple times. With that being said I loved this movie. I don't want to ruin it for anyone but if you haven't seen it yet you need to check it out now.

              Tremors (Directed by Ron Underwood) What do you get when you mix Kevin Bacon and Giant Underground Snake monsters? You get Tremors which while very campy was enough to scare me big time as a child.

January 22
              The Mighty Ducks (Directed by Stephen Herek) The movie that birthed a Stanley Cup champion hockey team and Joshua Jackson's career. It is cheesy but still a lot of fun to watch.

January 23
              Superman (Directed by Richard Donner) Comic Book movies are all the rage these days but this was one of the originals. I don't remember the last time I saw this movie but it was the perfect movie to watch while home sick.

              Police Academy (Directed by Hugh Wilson) Mahoney and his new friends join the Police Academy and hijinks ensure. One of my favorite series' from my childhood still holds up to this day.

              Dredd (Directed by Pete Travis) If you sat through the Stallone version of this in the 90's watch this to get rid of the horrible taste it surely left in your mouth. Even if you haven't seen that version you still should watch this over the top ultra-violent action movie that features Karl Urban as the no nonsense Judge Dredd.

January 24
              Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 (Directed by Jay Oliva) Not as good as Part 1 but still very enjoyable. The battle scenes more than made up for Peter Weller's underwhelming voice acting.

              Here Comes the Boom (Directed by Frank Coraci) Paul Blart does Mixed Martial Arts. Completely ridiculous but what do you expect from a Happy Madison production?

              Frankenweenie (Directed by Tim Burton) I have not been much of a Tim Burton fan the last few years because his work had become very repetitive and uninteresting. That is however not the case with Frankenweenie. This was more than a new twist on Frankenstein, it showed the bond between a child and their pet. If you had the power would you stop at anything to bring your best friend back? Along with the story I really enjoyed the animation that Burton presented. He isn't out of my doghouse completely yet, but I haven't locked him in it either.

January 25
              Skyfall (Directed by Sam Mendes) After Quantum of Solace I had all but given up on the James Bond series. But Sam Mendes brought Bond back from the dead literally in a visually stunning movie that didn't feature an invincible James Bond. Javier Bardem might be my favorite Bond villain of all time now.

January 26
              Goon (Directed by Michael Dowse) I will admit that I am a Seann William Scott fan and have been since his first time around as Stifler. Sport themed movies whether they be comedies or based on true stories always peak my interest. The movie is about a guy who is paid to fight while playing Hockey, but it was also about the person under the pads and what he has to deal with outside the rink. Well worth a watch especially if you enjoy sport related movies.

              Killer Joe (Directed by William Friedkin) I will NEVER EVER look at Fried Chicken the same way again. I watched this based off the recommendation from my friend John. Matthew McConaughey was calm and cool one minute and then sick, twisted and sadistic the next. As I said before, I will NEVER EVER look at Fried Chicken the same way again.

              Wild Hogs (Directed by Walt Becker) Middle Age Buddy Comedy. I grew up watching Tim Allen in Home Improvement and Martin Lawrence in Martin and the Bad Boys movies so I was already interested, Bill Macy was a great dork in the group. The movie is fun to watch as long as you don't take it very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment