Stream

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Daily Special: Week 34

This past week included a number of movies I watched numerous times while I was growing up. Lots of memories are tied to those movies.

Below are my movies of the week:

August 17
             WarGames (Directed by John Badham) Recently I re-read one of my favorite books Ready Player One. In the book it talks about this movie quite a bit. I finally found it streaming so I could watch it again.

             Aladdin (Directed by Ron Clements & John Musker) When I first heard that Robin Williams had passed I thought of this movie and that I hadn't watched it in over a decade. Playing the Genie was a perfect role for Mr. Williams because it allowed him to show off his wide range of comedic skills and still stay with the focus of the movie.

             Stand by Me (Directed by Rob Reiner) When I went to Best Buy a couple months ago I picked up this movie off the sale rack and it brought back memories of sitting down and watching it with my dad on VHS.

August 18
             Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda (Directed by Kevin O'Neill) Sometimes I think SyFy thinks up movies via a dart board or spinning wheels with different categories or characters on them. This is one movie that should never had been made and I am not sure how it could be made besides the dart method.

August 19
             Divergent (Directed by Neil Burger) It has been a few years since I read the book that this movie is based on. From what I remember from the book I think they did a good job adapting it for the big screen.

August 20
             Rudy (Directed by David Anspaugh) This is one of those movies I make sure to watch every couple of years right around the start of football season. Hearing the 'Rudy' chant still sends chills down my spine.

August 21
             Stomp the Yard (Directed by Sylvain White) This movie is a lot like Drumline but instead of drums it focuses around Stepping. Like the Step Up movies I enjoy this more for the dance routines than the movie storyline.

August 22
             The Guardian (Directed by Andrew Davis) Some people cannot stand Ashton Kutcher but I don't think he is that bad. I think he turns in one of his better career performances in this movie about members of the U.S. Coast Guard.

August 23
             Casting By (Directed by Tom Donahue) This was a very interesting documentary about casting directors over the years and how one person, Marion Dougherty, changed the industry. I really liked the old file footage and interviews with some of Hollywood’s biggest stars.

             Lewis Black: Old Yeller - Live at the Borgata (Directed by Zach Nial) Lewis Black is a loud and brash comedian that some people might not prefer. I am not one of those people and I thoroughly enjoyed this comedy special. Hearing him talk about the internet and joining Facebook were two of my favorite parts.

             Eraser (Directed by Chuck Russell) If the idea of Arnold Schwarzenegger as a U.S. marshal protecting Vanessa Williams sounds interesting to you this is the movie for you. If bad 'tech' talk, an impossible parachute scene and bad dialogue sounds interesting to you this also is the movie for you.

             Mrs. Doubtfire (Directed by Chris Columbus) Robin Williams left quite a mark on the entertainment world. This was one of my favorite movies from him when I was growing up. The scene with his court liaison where he tries to make her laugh is always funny.

Days Watched: 235
Movies Watched: 425

No comments:

Post a Comment