Stream

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Daily Special: Week 11

Week eleven was busy movie week. I enjoyed a week long staycation from work. My longtime friend Tish visiting from Colorado wanted to make sure and watch a couple movies on my couch. I also celebrated my birthday with my friend Sarah and watched two movies with her as well. Back to work tomorrow and that means fewer double and triple days.

Below are my movies of the week:

March 9
               Over the Top (Directed by Menahem Golan) I am so glad this movie explained what "Double Elimination" meant multiple times. I was so confused even after they described it the first time. It is amazing that this was actually made in to a movie, but it was the 80’s.

March 10
               Edward Scissorhands (Directed by Tim Burton) I couldn't tell you the last time I had seen this movie. One thing I like about older Tim Burton movies is he takes time to develop the main characters as well as the smaller lesser used one, like most of the neighbors in this movie.

               The Smurfs (Directed by Raja Gosnell) Ok yeah that was a bad movie. I grew up with the Smurfs but even I thought this was ridiculous. Some animated cartoons should stay that way, not everything needs to be live-action.

               Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Directed by Rob Minkoff) Very disappointed in this movie. Was hoping for something that had cool animation and humor. The animation was good but it took until 5 minutes left in the movie to really make my dad or I laugh.

March 11  
               Homefront (Directed by Gary Fleder) I watched this with my very good friend Tish who was visiting from Texas. The movie itself was pretty good. Good fight scenes and a story that was easy to follow. The one thing I disliked about it was they seemed to develop a certain character only to have her disappear before the end of the movie with no mention of again.

               Runner Runner (Directed by Brad Furman) After watching Homefront, Tish and I jumped right in to this movie. Within minutes we were confused by the actions of the main character. The plot as a whole was interesting but from time to time it would drop in parts that would confuse you. It has a nice twist ending, but it needed too after the long setup it had.

March 12
               That Thing You Do! (Directed by Tom Hanks) The one Tom Hanks movie I could not find for my Thanksgiving marathon last year just happened to air commercial free on DirecTV last weekend. The movie is a bit cheesy but I think it also speaks volumes about a number of one hit wonder musical artists today.

               The Silence of the Lambs (Directed by Jonathan Demme) This was the first time I ever watched this movie all the way through. I have seen the sequels before, but not this one. The movie is good but it is a bit unsettling from beginning to end.

               Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Directed by Steven Spielberg) It has been 20 years since I last saw this movie. I forgot how much fun it is. I really enjoy seeing Sean Connery and Harrison Ford play off one another.

March 13
               The Addams Family (Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld) I have only seen a few episodes of the original TV show but I think this is one of the better TV show turned in to a movie adaptation. All of the actors were perfect choices for their characters. The story was fun and quirky just like the show.

               Bull Durham (Directed by Ron Shelton) This is one of my least favorite sport movies. I know it may seem stupid but I don't like when the love story is a bigger focus then the sport being played is. If you don't want to refer to this as a sports themed movie then that changes the dynamics in my opinion.

March 14
               Moonrise Kingdom (Directed by Wes Anderson) I finally got caught up on Wes Anderson's last movie in time for his latest movie to come out in theater. First 15-20 minutes was a bit slow for me but then it picked up and I was fully engaged by all the different characters.

               Dave (Directed by Ivan Reitman) This is one of my watch and enjoy anytime movies. It isn't heavy on special effects but instead focuses on a good story with a strong cast of characters.

               Man of the House (Directed by Stephen Herek) Why did I watch this? I was doing some cleaning and wanted something on in the background. There are little pieces in this movie that make me laugh, like Cedric the Entertainer.

               Hyde Park on Hudson (Directed by Roger Michell) This movie started out quite slow and I had a hard time figuring out who some of the characters were until the very end. Bill Murray was great as FDR and I had to laugh at all the drama surrounding the eating of a hot dog.

March 15
               RoboCop (2014) (Directed by José Padilha) I was surprised how much I liked this remake. The storyline was very interesting and the characters were well written. The action scenes were pretty fun to watch as well. Even being just PG-13 I don't think it was really missing anything without the excessive blood like in the original.

               300: Rise of an Empire (Directed by Noam Murro) I was not a fan of the first half hour of the movie. It was a lot of talking that I thought dragged on and was too monotone. It picked up after that and became a fun action movie. Highlight of the movie though had to be Eva Green.

               Step Brothers (Directed by Adam McKay) This is such a stupid movie. But it is also one that always makes me laugh no matter when I watch it. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are a great comedy team when they work together.

Days Watched: 74
Movies Watched: 128

No comments:

Post a Comment