Stream

Sunday, March 2, 2014

2014 Oscar Predictions by DeeJ

Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) extensive movie watching life I was able to watch all of the movies nominated for Best Picture and Best Director as well as all of the acting awards before Oscar night. In years past I have made predictions based on the movies I have seen but now I can make my predictions a bit better since I have seen them all. Having said that I think it is time to make some predictions.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
  • Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
  • Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
  • Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
  • Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
  • June Squibb (Nebraska)
I really liked June Squib in Nebraska but I do not think her performance was Oscar worthy. On the other hand both Jennifer Lawrence and Lupita Nyong'o turned in Oscar worthy performances. It would be very cool to see Jennifer Lawrence win an Oscar two years in a row but something tells me that Lupita Nyong'o will be the actress with her name announced.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
  • Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
  • Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
  • Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
  • Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
As soon as I finished watching Dallas Buyers Club I proclaimed that Jared Leto should win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. My friend Andy said I should wait until I see 12 Years a Salve because Michael Fassbender was his pick. I will admit that Fassbender did a great job of making me hate him with a passion. Leto though is still my favorite because he became Rayon and I didn’t see any part of his normal persona in the movie. I am going with Leto for the win.

Best Actress in a Leading Role
  • Amy Adams (American Hustle)
  • Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
  • Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
  • Judi Dench (Philomena)
  • Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
This is the hardest category for me to make a prediction on. I know who I want to win but I am pretty sure it isn’t who will win. I like both Amy Adams and Sandra Bullock in this category to win the Oscar. I don’t think either of them will win and instead it will go to either Cate Blanchet to Meryl Streep. I was not a fan of either women’s performances nor was I a big fan of their movies. I felt Meryl was too over the top in August: Osage County and Cate was just plain annoying to me in Blue Jasmine. I want to see Sandra Bullock win her second Best Actress Oscar but I think it will go to Cate Blanchett this year.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
  • Christian Bale (American Hustle)
  • Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
  • Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
  • Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
  • Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
This isn’t even a competition in my opinion. The Oscar belongs to Matthew McConaughey. While Leonardo and Chiwetel’s performances shined in their movies, McConaughey went above and beyond anything I have ever seen him do before. For years I have always pictured him as his character from the movie Dazed and Confused, but not anymore.

Best Directing
  • American Hustle (David O. Russell)
  • Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
  • Nebraska (Alexander Payne)
  • 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen)
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)
This category is a bit of a tossup. All of the directors nominated did a superb job with their movies but the one I think shined about the rest is Alfonso Cuarón. Gravity was a visually stunning movie that made me feel like I was floating around in space with Sandra Bullock. The other two directors that I think could sneak in and steal the win are Martin Scorsese and Steve McQueen; both of their two movies are in my top 5 of 2013 releases. It could be close but I am going with Cuarón to take the Oscar.

Best Picture
  • American Hustle
  • Captain Phillips
  • Dallas Buyers Club
  • Gravity
  • Her
  • Nebraska
  • Philomena
  • 12 Years a Slave
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
There are three movies on this list that stand out to me as possible winners. The Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers Club and 12 Years a Slave stood out as the best of the best for me this year and if any of them win I will be happy. The one movie I hope does take the prize is 12 Years a Slave. It is both one of the best movies I have ever seen and also one of the worst. It is one of the best because it is a true story and it was brought to life on the big screen and it does a great job of making you feel like you are in the pre-Civil War south. The main reason that it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen is because it is in fact a true story

Well there are my predictions for six of the top categories. I hope I go five for six (with my only incorrect being Best Actress in a Leading Role) but who knows I could be completely off in who I think will win.

Quick Pick Predictions

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
  • Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
Best Actress in a Leading Role
  • Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Best Actor in a Leading Role
  • Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Best Directing
  • Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
Best Picture
  • 12 Years a Slave


No comments:

Post a Comment