Stream

Friday, January 10, 2014

365 Movie Challenge - Week 52

Well 2013 is in the books and though this is over a week late my 2013 movie challenge is officially over. Next up is the 2014 challenges.

Below are my movies of the week:


December 22
               The Nightmare Before Christmas (Directed by Henry Selick) I know a lot of people love this movie but I find it to be just okay. There is nothing overly great about it in my eyes. It is fun to watch every few years but it isn't something that I must watch on a yearly basis.

               Pleasantville (Directed by Gary Ross) I think that this movie can be viewed in multiple ways. First about a brother and sister who are sucked in to a TV and have to live in a 1950's style TV show where everything was perfect and in black and white. The other more interesting way involves diversity and accepting people for being different no matter if they are in black and white or color. I really got in to this movie after watching it while taking a Cultural Diversity class back in college. I almost wrote my final paper for the class on it but went with another movie that covered similar issues.

               Home Alone (Directed by Chris Columbus) I fell asleep watching this while sick in bed but I made sure to watch what I missed after I woke up in the morning. I remember watching this every year at Christmas thinking how fun it would be to fend for myself and maybe take on some bad guys. All these years later I am not taking on any bad guys but I do like fending for myself, now if I didn't have to pay bills as part of my fending.

December 23
               Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Directed by Chris Columbus) While watching this movie I raised what I thought was a very important question on Facebook: Is the reason we never got a 3rd Home Alone movie with Macaulay Culkin because Child Protective Services removed his character from his parents care following their return from New York? I am not sure how his parents could be allowed to keep custody of Kevin or their other children if something like what happened in the first two movies transpired today.

               Captain Phillips (Directed by Paul Greengrass) This Tom Hanks movie based on a true story might be his best movie in some time. I remember hearing on the news about a cargo ship that was boarded by Somali pirates. What I didn't know was that the pirates were not on the ship for very long and instead they took the captain hostage on a rescue boat. Since the story itself was written by the captain himself it is pretty easy to figure out the final outcome. But how they get to the final outcome is where Tom Hanks shines.

               The 16th Man (Directed by Cliff Bestall) Another solid documentary from ESPN narrated by Morgan Freeman. This 30 for 30 took a look at Nelson Mandela and the Rugby World Cup held in South Africa. I am a fan of the movie Invictus and this went a bit deeper in to some of the events portrayed in the film.

December 24
               Die Hard (Directed by John McTiernan) One of the best Christmas movies of all-time. I thought I had watched this earlier in the year but when I realized I hadn't I was really excited to watch it. I ended up watching it with my mom because she loves the Die Hard series and this is her favorite Christmas movie.

               Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Directed by John Hughes) I honestly don't remember ever watching this movie before. Having said that, it was an enjoyable movie. It was a bit predictable but it also provided some classic John Hughes moments.

               Christmas Vacation (Directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik) For the last ten years my dad and I have watched this Christmas classic on Christmas Eve. What I find most enjoyable about this movie is the running commentary that my dad and I provide during it. We both have our favorite lines that we quote before they happen and we always point out little things throughout the movie that make us laugh. No matter how many times I watch the movie I always find something new.

December 25
               A Christmas Story (Directed by Bob Clark) Hey TBS if you're going to air a marathon of this holiday classic you should include the entire movie, especially FUDGE! I had to rewind a few times to make sure I didn't miss it. Sadly it wasn't included at all.

December 26
               We're the Millers (Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber) I did not enjoy this movie. The only part that I actually laughed at was a single scene in the post credits outtakes. Please Hollywood do not waste money on making a sequel.

               47 Ronin (Directed by Carl Rinsch) Interesting story and great special effects made this Samurai movie enjoyable to watch. It was also fun to see Keanu Reeves back on the big screen. Watching the movie made me want to learn more about the story of the 47 Ronin.

               Fruitvale Station (Directed by Ryan Coogler) I have been looking forward to seeing this movie since I originally heard about it. It is a very sad story but it was also very interesting to see the journey of the main character throughout the movie. I highly recommend that people see this movie.

December 27
               The Wolf of Wall Street (Directed by Martin Scorsese) Holy crap that was a GREAT movie. This is my favorite movie of the year. It is almost 3 hours in length but it didn't feel like it. I am also really interested in seeing the original 4.5 hour cut that Scorsese originally put together.

               Rush (Directed by Ron Howard) Ron Howard knows how to make good movies, especially when the subject itself might not seem to be enjoyable right away. The movie was set in the 70’s but Ron Howard made it feel like it was originally filmed in the 70’s.

               Zoolander (Directed by Ben Stiller) I am not usually a fan of this type of comedy but for some reason Ben Stiller knows how to be funny enough to forget about my dislike for stupid and awkward humor. I am surprised that we have yet to get a sequel to this movie. They are working on a Night at the Museum 3 already but not a Zoolander 2?

December 28
               Big Trouble in Little China (Directed by John Carpenter) Another 80's classic that I am surprised it took me so long to watch. The movie is completely ridiculous but that is what makes it so much fun. Watching the movie got me thinking that Hollywood had a bit of a crush of truck drivers back in the mid-80’s.

               The American President (Directed by Rob Reiner) I never got in to watching The West Wing but I'd like to think that this movie was a bit of a prequel to the show. The writing was amazing and even after seeing this movie at least 15 times I still enjoy every minute of it. Michael J. Fox’s character was a lot of fun to watch. His idea of all dates are tentative until a confirmation call is made always makes me laugh.

               The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Directed by Peter Jackson) So much better than the first Hobbit movie. There is a reason I didn't watch Jackson's first Hobbit movie this year, I couldn't force myself to sit through it again. This movie flowed a lot better and kept me more entertained all the way through.

December 29
               Silly Little Game (Directed by Lucas Jansen & Adam Kurland) I am a big fan of playing Fantasy Football. I have been in a league with some old co-workers for almost ten years. This ESPN documentary looks back at the guys that invented what we now call Fantasy Sports.

December 30
               The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Directed by Ben Stiller) I don't remember this story from when I was growing up in school but I will need to check it out. This was a very nice surprise to me. It was nice to see Kristen Wiig in a movie and not be annoyed by the typical character she has played lately.

               Saving Mr. Banks (Directed by John Lee Hancock) This movie was okay. I am not a big Emma Thompson fan but Paul Giamatti though not in it a lot was my favorite character. Colin Farrell also put in a strong performance.

               Funny Farm (Directed by George Roy Hill) I had not seen this Chevy Chase movie in years before this viewing. There are a few parts that are incredibly stupid but for the most part the movie as a whole is enjoyable to watch all these years later.

               Rio (Directed by Carlos Saldanha) Saw the trailer for the sequel to this movie with Walter Mitty and figured I'd give it a shot. The story and characters were a lot of fun and the animation was high quality. It is a fun animated film.

December 31
               Kuffs (Directed by Bruce A. Evans) The best part of this movie is the "Osbourne style" curse rant that gets bleeped out like you are watching the movie on network TV.

               Men in Black (Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld) One of my favorite Will Smith movies as well as a Tommy Lee Jones favorite. The movie feels like a total comic book come to life that spawned two sequels. Mind you only the second sequel was any good.

               Sgt. Bilko (Directed by Jonathan Lynn) Fun Steve Martin movie I started while I was cleaning house. It took a lot longer to clean my place than it should have because I kept stopping to watch certain scenes. Phil Hartman is great in the movie and I miss that his life was cut short so early.

               June 17, 1994 (Directed by Brett Morgen) The sports world was on a bit of overload on June 17, 1994. The NY Rangers had just won the Stanley Cup, the NY Knicks were playing in game 5 of the NBA Finals, the FIFA World Cup was starting, Arnold Palmer was playing in his final round of the US Open and OJ Simpson was leading the LAPD and most of the viewing nation on a car chase around Los Angeles. This ESPN documentary features only audio and video taken that day as events unfolded. The crazy thing about the car chase on June 17 was I was in Los Angeles with my mom and brother visiting friends. I remember trying to watch the NBA finals and the local news coverage kept breaking in with updates about OJ. Finally they went with a split screen of the game and the car chase.

               The Monster Squad (Directed by Fred Dekker) For my last film of the year I picked my absolute favorite from childhood. Though I am not a big fan of monster or scary movies I have always enjoyed this movie. What isn't to like about a group of kids that are in to monsters and help take down Dracula, the Mummy, the Wolfman (who has nards) and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

60 Different Movies Watched in December. 581 Movies in 365 Days     

Movies Watched: 581
Movies To Go for 2.0: 0
Bonus Movies Watched: 81

No comments:

Post a Comment