Stream

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Daily Special: Weeks 1-3

My first weekly update of the year is officially ready to go. Okay this is more like three updates in one, but from now on they will happen on a weekly basis.

Below are my movies of the weeks:

January 1
               National Treasure (Directed by Jon Turteltaub) For the second year in a row I made this Nic Cage film my first movie of the year.

               The Wolverine (Directed by James Mangold) This movie is so much better compared to the Wolverine Origins movie. It does feel a bit long at times but still very enjoyable and it does a great job setting up for this year’s Days of Future Past movie.

               Sherlock 3.01: The Empty Hearse (Directed by Jeremy Lovering) I have been waiting for the third season to premiere since I binge watched the first two seasons last Christmas. Two years after his "death" Sherlock finally returned. My favorite part of this episode was John's reaction and actions after finding out Sherlock has been alive the entire time.

January 2
               Caddyshack (Directed by Harold Ramis) Nothing really needs to be said about this movie other than it still makes me laugh as much now as it did during my first viewing years and years ago.

January 3
               Don Jon (Directed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) I was really looking forward to this movie as I am a big JGL fan and well Scarlet is smoking hot. I was disappointed though because the movie was not as good as I hoped. Every other word out of Tony Danza's mouth seemed to be a curse word and I swear JGL wrote the part of his buddy for Turtle from Entourage but when he couldn't get the real actor got a cheap knockoff instead.

January 4
               Private Parts (Directed by Betty Thomas) I have never listened to an episode of the Howard Stern show but I have heard lots of stories. I like this movie not because of the stupid things Howard has done but because of his reasons for doing them. I like seeing him try to get under the skin of his bosses.

               Olympus Has Fallen (Directed by Antoine Fuqua) This is such a fun movie to watch. It really reminds me of the original Die Hard but set in the White House. The storyline and characters are fun to watch and the action is classic 80's style.

January 5
               Spaceballs (Directed by Mel Brooks) I have seen this movie so many times that I could watch it with the sound off or with my eyes closed and know exactly what is going on. I was happy to see it show up on Netflix at the start of the year.

January 6
               The New Guy (Directed by Ed Decter) I got very excited when I saw this was available on Netflix. It is a very stupid movie but I still enjoy watching it from time to time. After first seeing him in Road Trip I became a fan of DJ Qualls.

               Pacific Rim (Directed by Guillermo del Toro) What beats Giant Robots vs. Godzilla-like Monsters? Not much and especially after you add in Idris Elba. One of my favorite popcorn action flicks from last summer.

January 7
               Good Burger (Directed by Brian Robbins) This was the first thing that showed up on my Netflix when I logged in and I decided to watch it because it had been years. Yes it is stupid and based on a Nickelodeon skit but it still made me laugh and that is what I needed.

January 8
               Escape Plan (Directed by Mikael Håfström) This is not a great movie but it was still a lot of fun to watch. Yes Stallone and Schwarzenegger are getting older but they still know how to entertain. This movie reminded me of Schwarzenegger's other action movie last year, The Last Stand. It had a fun story and cheesy lines but that is what I have come to expect from both men.

January 9
               Sherlock 3.02: The Sign of Three (Directed by Colm McCarthy) If I ever get married I'd be happy to have Sherlock Holmes give a Best Man speech. I really enjoyed this episode that was centered around the wedding of John and Mary. Though he can give the speech I'd prefer not to let Sherlock Holmes plan my bachelor party.

               Frozen (Directed by Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee) I hope Disney continues to make more movies similar to this one. I do not mean they need to make more with a similar storyline but instead with the same message.

January 10
               Rambo (Directed by Sylvester Stallone) Rambo is back and has Ultra Violence in his heart. I am not totally sure what the plot of this movie was but I do know there was a ridiculous amount of violence in it. I didn't know bodies could explode in some of the ways they did while watching this.

               Grudge Match (Directed by Peter Segal) This movie had a few good one-liners from the stars but my favorite characters were the ones played by Alan Arkin & Jon Bernthal. They provided much needed depth for the main characters throughout the movie. I am still having a hard time seeing Kevin Hart as a movie star. His funniest part of the whole movie came during a post credit sequence with Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield.

January 11
               How to Train Your Dragon (Directed by Dean DeBlois & Chris Sanders) I love this movie. I still remember the first time I saw it in theaters with my friend Jessica. It is a fun animated film that I feel is very creative. My dad and I watched it in 3D because he read it is one of the best movies for home 3D viewing.

               Dallas Buyers Club (Directed by Jean-Marc Vallée) Matthew McConaughey and Jared Lero were amazingly brilliant in this movie. I remember reading about how much weight McConaughey lost for this role and he sure did look different. Early in the movie it was easy to dislike his character but as it went on you grew to root for him. This is one of those movies that should be seen by as many people as possible.

January 12
               Lone Survivor (Directed by Peter Berg) If you are a fan of military themed action movies this is a fun one to watch. It has a strong video game feel during the big fight scenes which are fun to see especially on the big screen. One thing to remember watching the movie though is that this really happened back in 2005 and similar gun battles still continue to this day.

January 13
               12 Years a Slave (Directed by Steve McQueen) This is one of the best and worst movies I have watched in a very long time. Best because of how well it is made and the story it tells, worst because it is a true story. Michael Fassbender did a great job of making me hate his guts more than I would have thought possible. This movie deserves all of the awards it wins this year.

January 14
               All is Lost (Directed by J.C. Chandor) The biggest thing that was lost in this movie was my patience. This movie is similar to Cast Away and Gravity but the problem is I didn't connect with Robert Redford like I did Tom hanks or Sandra Bullock in the other two movies. One thing I did notice is that filming must have taken some time because during certain scenes you can see Redford's gray hair growing out more and more.

January 15
               Rebound (Directed by Steve Carr) I recorded this during a DirecTV free preview weekend because I remember watching it before and because I couldn't remember how stupid it was. I watched it all the way through but I don't remember many minor details from the movie like character names.

January 16
               The Last Stand (Directed by Kim Jee-Woon) I am a big fan of simple action movies like this. The story isn't too complicated and the supporting cast provides emotion and laughs. I also like that the action scenes are not super heavy on the CGI too.

January 17
               Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (Directed by Kenneth Branagh) I was surprised how much I liked this movie. The main reason is not because of the story or the characters but for the fact that the writers stayed away from the typical model for a spy thriller. The predictability was not there and that was very refreshing. The story was fun and Kevin Costner was great as Chris Pine's handler. I would gladly watch welcome a sequel to this series reboot.

January 18
               Her (Directed by Spike Jonze) I am an Android Fanboy that loves the Android based operating system. Having said that I don't think I would ever be able to fall in love with my OS and refer to it as my girlfriend. This movie is equally weird and interesting. My biggest problem with the movie is how does someone have Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde and Amy Adams romantically interested with him and yet he still ends up dating a voice? Yes I know the voice is Scarlett Johansson but his phone doesn't look like her.

               Inside Llewyn Davis (Directed by Ethan Coen & Joel Coen) I was really looking forward to this movie but in the end I was disappointed. I usually like movies from the Coen Brothers but this one left me confused. I didn't understand its purpose. The main character is a selfish dick and not in a Walter White anti-hero kind of way.

               Nebraska (Directed by Alexander Payne) I watched this with my friend Sarah and while I really enjoyed it she would have preferred we watch G.I. Joe: Retaliation. The entire cast did a great job and while very heartfelt there were some great one-liners sprinkled throughout.

Days Watched: 18

Movies Watched: 27

No comments:

Post a Comment