Stream

Sunday, December 1, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 48

Week forty-eight was the busiest movie watching week of the year. Of course that is due to having a four day weekend and also not caring to go out shopping on Black Friday. Oh yeah, and the seven movies as part of the first annual Thanksgiving Day Tom Hanks Movie Marathon.

Below are my movies of the week:

November 24
               The Breakfast Club (John Hughes) Yet another John Hughes classic. It is funny how 25+ years later the characters in this movie can still be found in students today. I will have to say that I wish I had as much fun in detention as they did.

November 26
               Con Air (Simon West) I have wanted to watch this movie for the last couple months but was unable to find my old DVD copy, thankfully it was showing on Encore during a free preview weekend. This is a very cheesy movie, like Nic Cage's accent. The reason I like it though is for all the stars in it. A friend said it was the 'Expendables of Prison Escapes' and I'd have to agree.

               The Hunger Games (Gary Ross) I really liked the book series and I remember being excited to see this when it first came out, only to be disappointed. I know it is difficult to do a direct adaptation but they changed a lot of stuff that in my opinion is vital to the entire series of movies.

November 27
               The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Francis Lawrence) This was so much better than the first Hunger Games movie. They stuck to the book more & didn't do anything to change the continuity of the series. Visually it was great to look at too.

               Robocop (Paul Verhoeven) Thank you Encore for your Free Preview week so I could watch this movie again for the first time in 15 years. The special effects are not special at all but it is an enjoyable movie

November 28
               Cast Away (Robert Zemeckis) This was the first movie as part of my Tom Hanks Thanksgiving Day Marathon. I am almost certain I would not last 4 months, let alone 4 years, on an island all by myself. Hell, I am not sure I would survive the plane crash the led to me being stranded on the island. There were two things that really bugged me about this movie. First, who in their right mind plans a welcome home party for someone stranded on an island and goes with a seafood theme? Second, what kind of accent was Helen Hunt going for, because it was awful.

               The Burbs (Joe Dante) The second movie in my Tom Hanks marathon is a fun look and living in the suburbs and the crazy neighbors will have come across at least once. The movie did have predictable twists sprinkled throughout but it was still enjoyable to watch.

               The Green Mile (Frank Darabont) I had forgotten how long this movie was. Coming in at just over 3 hours I have to admit it didn't feel that long. The movie flows pretty well throughout and there were any noticeable lulls that I was bored during. Michael Clarke Duncan was just amazing as John Coffey. It is still hard to believe that he is no longer with us.

               Bachelor Party (Neal Israel) When I watched Clerks II last week they referenced this movie so when I decided to do my marathon I had to include it. I didn't recognize any of Tom Hanks' buddies in the movie. Maybe they were popular back in the early 80's but they haven't had long careers like Mr. Hanks.

               Catch Me If You Can (Steven Spielberg) This is one of my all-time favorite Tom Hanks movies. From beginning to end it is fun. There are a number of cameos throughout the movie that add to the fun. Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio play well off one another and I would not be against seeing another movie with them together in the future.

               Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich) It might have taken 11 years to get Toy Story 3 released but it didn't lose any of its heart over the years. This is right up there with the first Toy Story for me. The story, characters and animation are all on point. I do hope that they decide not to go forward with a Toy Story 4 because this was a great way to close out the series.

               Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis) This was movie seven in my Tom Hanks Marathon and when I started it at 8:15 at night I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish it before falling asleep. I stayed awake though and got though another very good Tom Hanks film. I had forgotten all the historical topics covered in the movie beginning with Elvis.

November 29
               Rush Hour (Brett Ratner) Boy Chris Tucker really fell off the map. After his run of Rush Hour movies he pretty much disappeared until I saw him in Silver Linings Playbook last year. I like the comedy and action in this film. Chris & Jackie play well off one another, hence the two sequels that followed this movie.

               Free Willy (Simon Wincer) Childhood favorite that after re-watching talks about a lot of the same stuff that the documentary Blackfish talked about earlier this year. I mainly wanted to watch it because I hadn't seen it in probably 15 years and the leap by Willy at the end still leaves me in awe.   

               Blade (Stephen Norrington) Another awesome movie from the Encore free preview. I've never read the comics but Wesley Snipes is great as Blade and the story while not totally original was very good mixed with great action. I need to find my copy of Blade 2 to watch, but I will be skipping Blade Trinity as it is a horrible addition to the series.

November 30
               Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (Rob Cohen) I remember the day I saw this movie with my dad and my brother. My dad took us to the $1 movie theater in Thornton and we were the only ones to see it. My brother and I were excited to see this movie because we were really in to martial arts films. To this day I think this is a very good movie that looks back on the life of a great man.

               RoboCop 2 (Irvin Kershner) While not as good as the first one the cheesiness of this sequel makes it enjoyable. The stop motion animation used shows how far special effects have come in the last 20+ years.

               Gleaming the Cube (Graeme Clifford) This was another favorite of mine from childhood. I never could go more than five feet on a skateboard but it was still fun to watch people skate. I really like the fact that a young Tony Hawk is in the movie and I laugh every time I see a Tony Hawk sticker get placed inside the airplane early in the movie.

54 Different Movies Watched in November. 521 Movies in 334 Days    

Movies Watched: 521
Movies To Go for 2.0: 0
Bonus Movies Watched: 21

No comments:

Post a Comment