Stream

Monday, September 2, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 35

Week thirty-five put me over the four hundred movie mark and introduced me to another Michael Keaton classic.

Below are my movies of the week:
August 25
               The Island (Directed by Michael Bay) One of Michael Bay's better films. The storyline alone had me interested from the start The action scenes were big budget but not over the top like his Transformers fight scenes. It also didn't hurt that he cast the lovely and always stunning Scarlett Johansson.

               The Other Guys (Directed by Adam McKay) I have a problem with stupid humor movies at times because the characters stupidity leads to the humor and I don't enjoy that; having said that this movie is hilarious. The pairing of Mark and Will is a great one. Michael Keaton as the police captain / Bed Bath and Beyond manager was funny too.

               A Bug's Life (Directed by John Lasseter & Andrew Stanton) Early Pixar film that showed you don't have to have all A-list actors to make a good animated film. I hadn't watched this is probably seven years but it was still as enjoyable now as it was back then.

August 26
               Chronicle (Directed by Josh Trank) As the old comic book saying goes, "With great power comes great responsibility." Too bad the main character in this comic book style movie didn't live by that oath. This was a surprise favorite of mine last year. I look forward to seeing more from Mr. Trank in the future.

August 27
               Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (Directed by Tom Shadyac) Who doesn't enjoy early Jim Carrey? I never watched much In Living Color so this was my main introduction to Carrey and I have been a fan most of the time since then. His voices and mannerisms are what make this movie great.

August 28
               Mean Girls (Directed by Mark Waters) This movie has been on my DVR for a few months and today was probably not the best day to watch it. I was bored during most the movie and though I have liked it on previous viewings I didn't really care for it this time.

August 29
               Ice Age (Directed by Carlos Saldanha & Chris Wedge) Dreamworks has gotten a lot better of the years with their animated films and this was one of the movies that helped set them on the right path. They figured out that along with good animation and a strong plot you need to find the right mix of voices, and they did just that.

August 30
               Lethal Weapon (Directed by Richard Donner) What is with action movies in the 80's taking place right around Christmas? Both Die Hard and Die Hard 2 followed the Christmas timeline as did Lethal Weapon. Not your typical buddy cop action movie but a good introduction to the characters that we would see onscreen three more times.

               Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Directed by Chris Columbus) Before seeing this movie after it first came out on DVD I had never read any of the Harry Potter books. Since then I have read all of them two and for a couple of the books three times through. This was a pretty good adaptation from book to screen.

               Bulletproof Monk (Directed by Paul Hunter) The plot to this movie is beyond stupid but it turned out to be fun to watch in the end. I am not sure how the studio was sold on the casting of Chow Yun-Fat & Seann William Scott in the same movie but they were.

August 31
               Toy Story 2 (Directed by John Lasseter & Ash Brannon & Lee Unkrich) Not as good as the original but it is still better than any other Pixar sequel to this point. I never saw this movie in theaters. I didn't actually watch it for the first time until it was released on Blu-Ray a few years back.

               Thor (Directed by Kenneth Branagh) Before seeing this movie I didn't really know much about the character but Marvel did a really good job of taking a comic book character and introducing him to the masses in this film. I am really looking forward to the sequel this fall.

               The Dream Team (Directed by Howard Zieff) This was my first time watching this Michael Keaton film and I really enjoyed it. Four mental patients are on their own in New York, what can go wrong? Well they might get suspected of murder. If you haven't seen this movie check it out, it is really funny.


56 Different Movies Watched in August. 402 Movies in 243 Days

Movies Watched: 402
Movies To Go for 2.0: 98

No comments:

Post a Comment