Stream

Monday, May 26, 2014

Daily Special: Week 21

Thanks This week included some pretty good movies from the last decade or so as well as some new releases. as we get closer to summer I think my AMC Stubs card will be going to good use.

Below are my movies of the week:

May 18
               Secretariat (Directed by Randall Wallace) After watching the second leg of the Triple Crown yesterday I figured it was time I watch this Disney true story sports themed movie again. Yes Disney does change a few things along the way but the majority of the story is true.

               Hook (Directed by Steven Spielberg) This version of Peter Pan is one of my favorites. Spielberg did a really good job at directing and the cast all turned in strong performances. I have had this on my short list to watch recently since I heard about Bob Hoskins passing away.

               True Grit (Directed by Ethan Coen & Joel Coen) While I am not a fan of all movies directed by the Coen Brothers I do enjoy most of them. This is one that I really enjoy. Great cast help to tell an exciting story.

May 19
               The Illusionist (Directed by Neil Burger) This movie includes a number of different illusions that are hard to explain but help tell a great story. Ed Norton does a really good job at playing a depressed brooding man wanting revenge.

May 20
               Son of Batman (Directed by Ethan Spaulding) The latest DC Animated movie doesn't disappoint. I read the story arc that this movie is based on last year and this was a very good adaptation.

May 21
               With Honors (Directed by Alek Keshishian) This movie recently showed up on HBO Go and when I saw that was the highlight of my day. I don't know what it is about his movie but I love watching it. I had been looking for my DVD copy for at least six months with no luck until coming across it streaming.

May 22
               Million Dollar Arm (Directed by Craig Gillespie) A true story sports themed movie from Disney? I enjoyed it even before I got to the theater. While the outcome of the movie was predictable it was still an enjoyable journey to get there.

May 23
               X-Men: Days of Future Past (Directed by Bryan Singer) While this movie a pretty good overall, I was still a bit disappointed in it. For months we have been teased with magazine covers and trailers featuring a wide variety of mutants. In the end though it seems like most of the mutants featured were barely in the movie, some only for a brief moment.

               The Majestic (Directed by Frank Darabont) Out of all his movies this is by far my favorite from Jim Carrey. It shows his more serious side while still including a fair amount of humor.

               Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise (Directed by Joe Roth) This movie is nowhere near as fun as the original. I wish there was more Anthony Edwards in it. One thing that has always stuck out to me is that Lewis has a girlfriend yet still falls for and tries to hook up with another one. I didn't think nerds were jerks like that.

May 24
               War Horse (Directed by Steven Spielberg) I am very thankful that my mom called me during what I feel is the saddest part of the movie. Had she not called me then I know I would have ended up crying.

               Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (Directed by Mike Judge) I forgot how stupid this movie was. Growing up I wasn't allowed to watch the television show featuring these guys, but when the movie came out I was allowed to see it. Part of me wishes my parents didn't allow me to watch the movie again.

               The Faculty (Directed by Robert Rodriguez) I still laugh when I remember that this is a Robert Rodriguez movie. It of course has his style throughout it but for some reason it just doesn't fit with what I have come to know and enjoy from Mr. Rodriguez.

               Mulan (Directed by Tony Bancroft & Barry Cook) Thanks to a few top shelf margaritas while out at dinner with my parents I was in the mood for just about any movie after I got home including this Disney princess adventure. Eddie Murphy's Mushu has a lot of the same characteristics as his later animated character Donkey.

Days Watched: 144
Movies Watched: 247

No comments:

Post a Comment