Stream

Sunday, November 17, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 46

Week forty-six included more than a couple bad movies but I made sure to include some extra good ones to balance it out. Challenge Goal 2.0 looks to be finishing up this week.

Below are my movies of the week:

November 10
               Outbreak (Directed by Wolfgang Petersen) Not sure why I decided to watch this movie but I woke up and as soon as I saw it in my DVR I knew it was the one to watch. This movie is filled with a great cast of characters. What makes it different from other movies filled with big name actors is, it doesn't suck. It has a good plot along the lines of Contagion in which it is very plausible and thus very scary to think it could happen.

               Straight Outta L.A. (Directed by Ice Cube) Growing up in Denver I've always been a Denver Broncos fan. In turn I have also despised the L.A/Oakland Raiders and Al Davis. This ESPN 30 for 30 was interesting because while I can't stand the Raiders I was very interested to learn about their influence on west coast rap in the late 80's. I also didn't know where the term 'Gangster Rap' came from until seeing this.

November 12
               2 Guns (Directed by Baltasar Kormákur) I enjoyed this Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington team-up movie. It had a fun plot with some good action. It was also very cool to see Edward James Olmos again. It had been a few years since I saw him in a movie.

               Last Vegas (Directed by Jon Turteltaub) Saw this with my parents and while it wasn't amazing or a new classic it was still enjoyable. I was really excited to see Kevin Kline and Morgan Freeman on screen. I wish I could find out how much it cost to coat Michael Douglas in makeup because it sure looked like a lot.

November 13
               Speed Racer (Directed by Andy Wachowski & Lana Wachowski) Why did it take me so long to watch this movie? From the opening scenes this movie had me sucked in and I was a bit bummed when it was finally over. The story was interesting but the visuals are what really had me hooked. The Wachowski's proved yet again that they know what they are doing when it comes to movies.

November 14
               Elysium (Directed by Neill Blomkamp) This was not the follow-up to District 9 I was hoping for from Blomkamp. District 9 was a cool movie with a good message. This movie on the other hand was not. Matt Damon was solid in it but the story as well as most his co-stars were lacking. I'm not really sure what has happened to Jodie Foster but I didn't feel any emotion towards her character except boredom.

               Taken 2 (Directed by Olivier Megaton) I knew this movie was going to be bad but it was on my DVR and I have a hard time deleting stuff that I haven't watched. The only thing I can say about this movie is I would never want to travel with Liam Neeson's character. He just invited danger it seems and unbelievable action too.

November 15
               Lockout (2012) (Directed by James Mather & Stephen St. Leger) Not sure how I ended up watching two movies in a row where Maggie Grace was in danger but I did. This movie was almost as hard to watch as Taken 2 was. I think I have an idea what the producers and directors were going for but it didn't happen in the end. This movie has the worst and most unbelievable re-entry from space scene I have ever seen. If that wasn't bad enough the last 5 minutes of the movie wraps up the sub-plot of the movie with maybe 5 lines of dialogue and lots of cut scenes.

               Big (Directed by Penny Marshall) This is another favorite from my childhood that I always enjoy watching. I don't know anyone that doesn't enjoy this Tom Hanks film. Whether it is the giant piano scene or jumping on a trampoline in your living room this movie shows the fun things kids want to do but their parents don't usually allow them to do.

November 16
               The World's End (Directed by Edgar Wright) I was really looking forward to this movie because of how much I enjoyed the first two movies in the trilogy, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Sadly I was disappointed with how this movie turned out. It was a cool concept but it never seemed to fully come together and the ending made no sense at all.

               Cliffhanger (Directed by Renny Harlin) I felt like watching a cheesy action movie while cleaning house and I picked this one. The sad part is I didn't get a lot of cleaning done because I kept stopping to watch Sly climb cliffs while kicking ass and taking names.

               Jedi Junkies (Directed by Mark Edlitz) The one thing that I remember most about this documentary about Star Wars fans was Olivia Munn offering a guy the chance to feel her boobs since she thinks he's never come close to doing so. This wasn't the best documentary I have ever seen but it also wasn't the worst. I had no clue how many different fan films for Star Wars were out there.

Movies Watched: 493
Movies To Go for 2.0: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment