Stream

Sunday, October 20, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 42

Week forty-two included clues to my Target origin story as well as my last attempt at enjoying Kevin Hart comedy.

Below are my movies of the week:

October 16
               No Mas (Directed by Eric Drath) Having been born in 1982 I missed both of the Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran fights which included Duran giving up mid-fight during their rematch. This wasn't my favorite ESPN 30 for 30 documentary but it was still very interesting to see all the trash talking that led up to the fights and all the media scrutiny that followed Duran giving up.

October 17
               Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain (Directed by Leslie Small & Tim Story) I am over Kevin Hart. It took almost 20 minutes in this comedy special for him to tell a joke and it wasn't funny. I don't get why people like him so much. My dad is a big fan of his but I just don't get it.

October 18
               Ted (Directed by Seth MacFarlane) This movie was funnier the first time I saw it after it originally came out. MacFarlane isn't very funny to me in general and during this viewing I realized what I originally thought was hilarious was very childish now.

               Grown Ups 2 (Directed by Dennis Dugan) I didn't like the first 35 minutes or so but after that I actually enjoyed the movie. Not the best thing out there but it was still something fun to watch. One thing I will say about Adam Sandler is that he never forgets about his friends. This movie was filled with appearances by friends from his past movies and Saturday Night Live days.

               Machete Kills (Directed by Robert Rodriguez) This sequel based on Rodriguez's fake trailer turned movie is full of over the top kills and celebrity cameos. The movie gets a little confusing at one point but then someone is killed in a not quite possible way to bring everything back together.

October 19
               Mannequin (Directed by Michael Gottlieb) I can't believe this was a movie back in the 80's and it actually spawned a sequel too. I am not sure what else can be said besides "Please Hollywood do not remake this piece of garbage!"

               Miracle (Directed by Gavin O'Connor) I still get chills down my spine whenever I hear the "Do you believe in miracles" line from the 1980 Winter Olympics. This Disney film looking back at what led up to the Semi-Final game against the Soviet Union is so well done that it might be my favorite true sports movie ever. The casting was perfect in bringing to life the characters that went from being a bunch of kids on different college teams to being a team themselves representing the United States of America.

               Career Opportunities (Directed by Bryan Gordon) I worked for Target for eight and a half years from High School all the way through college, this movie was the reason why. Okay my Target origin story didn't really come about because of this 1991 movie, it just sounded funny. I don't know what it is about this movie but I like it. The story and the characters besides Jennifer Connelly aren't anything special but this movie is still enjoyable to me. I think it is because I did work at Target for so long and I realize that though this movie is 20 years old not a lot has changed for the company. The signage is still the same and the general store decor is the same. One thing that was a bit over the top was how messy the store is after closing. I worked overnight many times while working for Target and even during Christmas there was not as much trash on the floors as in the movie, yes I am nitpicking now.

Movies Watched: 457
Movies To Go for 2.0: 43

No comments:

Post a Comment