Stream

Sunday, October 13, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 41

Week forty-one saw my weekly intake of movies go up again but that is because of an extra day off of work.  I have a feeling more of ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries will be making it on to my list.

Below are my movies of the week:

October 6
               The Birth of Big Air (Directed by Jeff Tremaine) If you're a fan of the X-Games then you know who Mat Hoffman is. This ESPN documentary looks at how Mat grew from a kid in Oklahoma to one of the greatest extreme sports stars in history. I really liked that Jeff Tremaine the director of the Jackass movies directed this film as he and Mat are friends in real life.

October 10
               Monsters University (Directed by Dan Scanlon) I didn't have high hopes for this movie but in the end it surprised me as I enjoyed it. Yes some of it was cheesy and not well thought out but overall I liked the story and the animation was of true Pixar quality. Goodman and Crystal are great as the leads.

October 11
               The Campaign (Directed by Jay Roach) Will Ferrell punches a baby and a dog and I still wanted him to win the election. This movie is pretty stupid mainly with Zach Galifianakis' part but that is because I am not a big fan of his. Ferrell brings the funny though and he brings it BIG time. This reminded me of his George Bush skits on SNL back in the day.

               Gravity (Directed by Alfonso CuarĂ³n) Angie and I saw this is IMAX 3D and I have to say it is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. The ever changing scenery in space as they circle the moon is just mesmerizing. Yes there are inconsistencies of what would actually happen in space but that doesn't matter to me because it is a movie. This film reminds me of Tom Hanks' Cast Away but in space. I highly recommend it.

               Swordfish (Directed by Dominic Sena) Hacker movies are funny to watch because Hollywood loves to play up how easy it is for someone to hack a high security website. Having said that, I enjoyed the plot of this movie and all of the characters. Travolta makes a great villain that is so easy to hate.

October 12
               40 Minutes of Hell (Directed by Kenan Harris-Holley) This ESPN Documentary about former Arkansas Basketball coach was very interesting to watch. I knew that he was a successful basketball coach but I also remembered the controversy after he left Arkansas a decade ago. Learning about his family life and early coaching career shed a new light on Richardson. Bill Clinton is featured numerous times throughout the film as he is a big Arkansas fan and a friend of Richardson.

               King Ralph (Directed by David S. Ward) I use to watch this as a kid and really enjoy it. Fast forward 20 years and I still get a kick out of it. John Goodman is hilarious as the Vegas singer turned King of England. I think the reason I like this movie so much is because of Goodman. It is hard not to enjoy a movie he is in.

               After Earth (Directed by M. Night Shyamalan) What in the world did I just watch? I was afraid to watch this movie because of all the bad things I heard about it. Well, they were wrong. The movie is worse than you have heard. The dialogue and storyline is hard to follow and did every member of the main family have to have a different accent or was that just another screw-up by Shyamalan? This is the new frontrunner for worst movie of my challenge.

Movies Watched: 449
Movies To Go for 2.0: 51

No comments:

Post a Comment