Stream

Sunday, July 28, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 30

For week thirty I was in a bit of an X-Men mode watching four movies from that universe. Just over two dozen movies remain.

Below are my movies of the week:

July 21
               The Italian Job (2003) (Directed by F. Gary Gray) I started watching this at my Aunt & Uncles house with my cousin and decided I needed to watch it all the way through once I got home. I like this version of The Italian Job so much more than the original. I was not confused at all during this film and enjoyed every minute. All of the characters had their own little quirks that made the stand out. I wish the sequel that they planned, The Brazilian Job, had gotten out of the development stage.

July 22
               The Incredibles (Directed by Brad Bird) I think this is my favorite of the Pixar films. How can you not love a movie about a family of superheroes? Classic Pixar humor told in a very original and creative story. This is the Pixar film I wish they would make a sequel for.

July 23
               Red State (Directed by Kevin Smith) Kevin Smith went in a different direction with Red State compared to most of his other movies and it was a success. Some would say this is a horror movie but I disagree. It is more of a thriller with lots of violence. Though the movie only cost $5 million to make it is still better than a number of big budget movies that studios are putting out.

July 24
               X-Men (Directed by Bryan Singer) After many failed attempts at making solid comic book movies Marvel started getting it right with X-Men. The plot of the movie wasn't the best but the characters themselves more than made up for it. Seeing Wolverine extend his claws for the first time or seeing Mystique change form instantly made the kid in me scream for joy. Thirteen years later I still get excited watching the movie.

July 25
               Conspiracy Theory (Directed by Richard Donner) I hadn't seen this movie in 10 years but it was another movie playing in the background at my Aunt and Uncles house on Sunday so I decided to record a later showing of it. Donner and Gibson are back together again in this movie about a conspiracy theorist who might not be as crazy as some people think.

July 26
               X-Men: First Class (Directed by Matthew Vaughn) Though there are some continuity errors with the timeline and characters this is a great origins movie. I originally thought it would be hard to see new actors playing the roles of Professor X, Magneto and Mystique but I was mistaken. I cannot wait until next summer when the sequel to this comes out which combines both X-Men universes together in one film.

               Batman: Gotham Knight (Directed by Yasuhiro Aoki & Yuichiro Hayashi & Futoshi Higashide & Toshiyuki Kubooka & Hiroshi Morioka & Jong-Sik Nam & Shoujirou Nishimi) I didn't know what to expect when I started watching this DC animated feature. Instead of one single storyline for the film it is broken up in to a number of short stories with different plots that explain Batman as a whole. The animation was different for most of the segments which helped mix it up. It wasn't my favorite of the DC Animated films but it was still miles ahead of Marvels animated films, and it is already 5 years old.

July 27
               The Wolverine (Directed by James Mangold) This almost made me completely forget about the Wolverine Origin movie. It felt a lot more like an X-Men movie that stayed in line with the universe Bryan Singer helped create. There are some plot holes in the movie but overall it was what a Wolverine movie should be. It also delivered on a true post-credit Marvel tease.

               Piranha (Directed by Alexandre Aja) Very campy & cheesy horror flick with lots of skin and a stupid plot. It isn't a good movie but it sure is a fun one to watch.

               X-Men 2 (X2) (Directed by Bryan Singer) Until Iron Man was released that was the best comic book movie released to date in my opinion. The character development and storyline were spot on. Bryan Singer knows how to make a comic book movie. The ending gave us hope for a great second sequel which would introduce the Phoenix, sadly though Singer wasn't back for that one.

Movies Watched: 340
Movies To Go: 25

No comments:

Post a Comment