Stream

Sunday, June 23, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 25

Week twenty five included some good movies and some BAD ones. It also included one of the best movies of the year so far, WWZ! 365 Challenge is 77% complete for the year.

Below are my movies of the week:

June 16
               Paul (Directed by Greg Mottola) This sci-fi comedy starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is hilarious. Seth Rogen (yes the guy I am not a big fan of) was great as Paul the alien who is trying to get back home. The cast of characters and numerous pop culture references are what really sell this movie.

               Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Directed by Fran Rubel Kuzui) It is hard to believe that the same person wrote this movie and the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV Show. This movie is cheesy and reminds me a bit of Clueless, but with vampires. It is fun in parts and fast so it is easy to get lost for 90 minutes.

June 18
               Cars 2 (Directed by John Lasseter & Brad Lewis) I wanted to hate this movie because I thought it was a cheap sequel that should have been Direct to Video. I was right about it being a bit cheap, the animation seemed off and not up to Pixar standards. But, I enjoyed it in the end and laughed more than a couple times and I don't even like Larry the Cable Guy. I can see why kids enjoyed this movie, because the kid in me sure did.

June 19
               Van Helsing (Directed by Stephen Sommers) I forgot how bad this movie was. I love the cast and the premise of the movie but the execution of the story was bad. Stephen Sommers was hot coming off the successful Mummy and Mummy Returns films but this movie stopped that progression. This was the last feature that he directed for a good 5 years and it is easy to see why.

               The Lion King (Directed by Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff) I was 12 years-old when this movie first came out and I remember going to see it with my family and falling in love with the colors, the characters and the story. Fast forward almost 20 years and I felt the exact same way watching this movie again.

               2012 (Directed by Roland Emmerich) I'm not totally sure how you decide on making John Cusack the hero of your action adventure movie but that’s why I don't make the big Hollywood bucks. The special effects in this movie were over the top crazy but that is what made it fun. The story itself was similar to most Emmerich disaster films.

June 20
               Men in Black 3 (Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld) Men in Black was an amazing movie that was so much fun to watch. Men in Black 2's fun moments were few and far between. Men in Black 3 felt a lot more like the original. The time travel storyline and new cast of characters kept me interested from beginning to end. It is a bit creepy how much Josh Brolin resembled a younger Tommy Lee Jones.

June 21
               Conan the Barbarian (1982) (Directed by John Milius) No offense to my good friend John, but this movie was BORING. I watched it again after he questioned my comments about the Conan remake that I watched a couple weeks ago. I have to say my comments made about that movie are correct, this one is worse than the remake. I just about fell asleep watching this, so I decided to re-watch the parts I was confused about after a good night’s sleep. Yep it was still boring.

June 22
               World War Z (Directed by Marc Forster) I'm a fan of Zombie films and TV shows. Up until now we've seen Zombies in one main form, slow moving. In World War Z the zombies move faster than I have ever moved in my life, maybe I should become a zombie. That made them more terrifying to me than previous zombie styles. I also enjoyed this movie because I am a fan of Brad Pitt and this is not your typical Brad Pitt movie. After seeing this film I want to go back and give the book of the same name another shot. The first time I tried to read it I didn't finish it because it didn't catch my interest right away.

               The Company Men (Directed by John Wells) Very strong cast of actors in this film about the lives of 3 men as their company is downsized and the effects it has on all aspects of their lives. The only thing I knew about this movie before watching it was who was in it. The movie is a bit depressing but I know it is honest in reflecting what a number of companies have been going through the last few years.

               Oz the Great and Powerful (Directed by Sam Raimi) Up until the final "battle" in Emerald City I was bored by the movie. I really have a problem with James Franco at times and his cocky attitude for most of this movie was the main reason. Visually the movie is beautiful and reminds me of a Tim Burton film. My other major qualm with this movie was the horrible treatment of Mila Kunis. Who in their right minds would turn such a beautiful woman green?

Movies Watched: 284
Movies To Go: 81

No comments:

Post a Comment