Stream

Sunday, June 16, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 24

Week twenty four saw me get under the century mark for remaining movies. Its been a fun adventure thus far. I'm looking forward to the final run of films..

Below are my movies of the week:

June 9
             Conan the Barbarian (2011) (Directed by Marcus Nispel) Watched this after talking to a friend about it and I didn't think it was that bad of a remake. It is hard to be worse than the original Conan movie. The actor that played Conan is fun to watch and as we've seen lately, he is getting more and more popular in Hollywood.

             Liar Liar (Directed by Tom Shadyac) Very fun Jim Carrey movie during the peak of his career. The one liners out of Jim's mouth as he is unable to lie are hilarious. The message behind the movie is heartfelt.

             Serenity (Directed by Joss Whedon) WWJD? What Would Joss Do? Oh he would just deliver an amazing movie to follow-up the cancelled too soon Firefly TV show. I am a big Joss fan but his killing of Wash late in the movie was a complete shocker and the most upsetting death he has delivered in all of his projects.

             Bad Boys II (Directed by Michael Bay) I posed a question shortly after watching this to why we have never seen a Bad Boy 3 and my friend John put it best. You can't top Bad Boys 2. The action, comedy and plot were all on point. Michael Bay needs to look back and see what made this movie work.

June 10
             Snitch (Directed by Ric Roman Waugh) Based on a true story about a dad who volunteers to go undercover and become a snitch for the government to help release his son from prison. The story was compelling and I enjoy pretty much anything that The Rock stars in.

June 11
             Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (Directed by Lauren Montgomery) Solid DC animated feature pitting Superman and Batman against Darkseid on Apokolips. I know I have said it before but I will say it again, DC knows how to deliver high quality animated films.

June 12
             Air Force One (Directed by Wolfgang Petersen) Air Force One and all its passengers are taken hostage by terrorists and President Harrison Ford has to save them all while taking down the terrorists. The action scenes were good but the CGI looked like it was created by a college freshman film student.

June 13
             This is the End (Directed by Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen) The comedy starring some of Hollywood's most popular stars trying to survive the Apocalypse was funny in parts. I am not a huge fan of James Franco or Seth Rogen because I feel they play the same type of characters at times. But I do really like Jay Baruchel and Craig Robinson so that more than made up for the stars I don't like as much. The cameos in the movie are what make it though, The GIMP!

June 14
             Man of Steel (Directed by Zach Snyder) Superman is back and better then ever. Very solid origin story with a strong cast of characters, except for maybe Amy Adams. I can see why Amy was cast as Lois Lane but I felt at times her character was lacking in comparison to Superman, Jor-El and General Zod. I look forward to the already announced sequel.

             Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Directed by Brad Bird) The Mission: Impossible series continues its rebirth with Ghost Protocol. Tom Cruise is back kicking ass as agent Ethan Hunt who with his new team of agents work to stop a nuclear attack.

             Spies Like Us (Directed by John Landis) Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd star as bumbling spies working for the U.S. Government. Chevy Chase had a number of great one-liners in the movie that though it is almost 30 years old is still very enjoyable.

June 15
             The Replacements (Directed by Howard Deutch) Fun comedy with an interesting cast pf characters about a pro football league that sees its players go on strike so replacements are brought in. The movie is stupid in parts but I still enjoy watching it from time to time. This is one of those movies I remember the first time I saw it and who I saw it with.

             Jay and Silent Bob Go Down Under (Directed by J.C. Reifenberg) Another filmed Q and A of the Jay and Silent Bob Get Old podcast this time from Australia. I have heard a number of the stories previously but it is much more enjoyable seeing Jay's facial mannerisms as he tells them.


             xXx (Directed by Rob Cohen) Vin Diesel is a bad ass action star who is recruited to go undercover for the NSA. I know they hoped this movie would spawn a number of sequels and I wish it had but Vin left the series before the sequel came out which really hindered its success. The action scenes and weapons in this movie was a lot of fun to watch.

Movies Watched: 273
Movies To Go: 92

No comments:

Post a Comment