Stream

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Daily Special: Week 15

Week fifteen included a number my old favorites from when I was growing up. 

Below are my movies of the week:

April 6
               Mortal Kombat (Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson) I used to love playing this game at the arcade whenever I went. When this movie first came out I talked my dad in to taking me to see it. As a whole it is cheesy and not very good, but it is still one of my favorite videogame adaptations.

               Jumanji (Directed by Joe Johnston) This was another recent addition to Netflix streaming and after watching Zathura a week ago I was excited to get to watch this one again. My brother and I really enjoyed this movie when we were growing up. We tried for months to find the game to buy but were never successful.

               Overboard (Directed by Garry Marshall) Every single time I watch this movie I ask the same question, usually to myself, how does Kurt Russell's character not get arrested for technically kidnapping and false imprisonment? What his character does is totally illegal and he should be sitting behind bars for many years.

April 7
               Scary Movie (Directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans) This might be my favorite parody movie of all time. The Wayans brothers did a great job writing this movie and while the sequel isn't as good, they are far better than any of the sequels made after they were removed from the series.

               The Principal (Directed by Christopher Cain) If a principal acted like Belushi did in this movie today there is no doubt that they would be out of a job instantly. Lots of overacting in this movie but I did enjoy seeing the "bully" get his ass kicked.

April 8
               Valley Girl (Directed by Martha Coolidge) Nic Cage's acting has not improved very much from when he was 19 and starring in this movie. I had heard about this movie over the years but never got around to watching it until now. I am pretty sure I am going to wait another 30 years before thinking about watching it again.

April 9
               Underclassman (Directed by Marcos Siega) This movie can best be summed up as 21 Jump Street with Nick Cannon and no humor.

April 10
               True Lies (Directed by James Cameron) It is hard to believe that they never made a sequel to this action movie. The ending set it up completely to become a series. I still remember seeing this movie for the first time on its opening weekend at the drive-in with my parents and brother.

               Free to Play: The Movie (Directed by Valve) Interesting documentary about an e-sport competition for the game Dota 2 and the $1 million winning prize. This suggestion came from the Get Up On This podcast.

April 11
               Big Daddy (Directed by Dennis Dugan) Oh how I miss the goofy yet heartwarming Adam Sandler movies of the late 90's. I wish Adam would go back to movies like this instead of going overboard with the bathroom humor and crazy cast choices.

April 12
               The Village (Directed by M. Night Shyamalan) This wasn't the worst Shyamalan movie that I have seen but it wasn't the best either. Ever since the twist in The Sixth Sense it seems like every movie he has to throw a crazy twist at the audience and they are less and less impressive. If you know a twist is coming is it still a twist?

               White Men Can't Jump (Directed by Ron Shelton) Wesley and Woody are one of my favorite movie duos of all time. Their chemistry together is always enjoyable to watch. I had not watched this movie in a good ten years but it still makes me laugh.

               A Knight's Tale (Directed by Brian Helgeland) I miss Heath Ledger. He was a great actor and while his performance in The Dark Knight was amazing this is still my favorite movie of his. Now I am pretty sure it isn't historically accurate, it is still an enjoyable movie.

Days Watched: 102
Movies Watched: 177

No comments:

Post a Comment