Stream

Sunday, August 18, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 33

Week thirty-three included yet another Michael Keaton movie as well some questions about a John Hughes classic.

Below are my movies of the week:

August 11
               Mars Attacks (Directed by Tim Burton) So many big name stars in this alien invasion movie from Tim Burton. Too bad all the stars couldn't make it a good movie. I know it was meant to be cheesy but they could have at least made it somewhat enjoyable. I still remember seeing this in theaters with my dad and brother.

               Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Directed by John Hughes) This is probably my favorite John Hughes movie from my childhood. Looking back now though I wonder why Jeanie was arrested at home for making a false police report. Shouldn't the cops, already knowing he was sick, have tried to confirm her story before taking her to the police station? There are a couple other things I question but that one stuck out most to me. Oh and how did all the flowers get inside if the front door was locked?

August 12
               How High (Directed by Jesse Dylan) Boy I had forgotten how bad this movie was. Not really sure what I enjoyed about it 12 years ago. The highlight for me had to be the re-emergence of Lisa Turtle from Saved by the Bell.

August 13
               Big Miracle (Directed by Ken Kwapis) This true story based film was fun to watch. I remember the whale craze of the early 90's with Free Willy and a whale exhibit at our local history museum. I don't remember when the events of the film took place but it was cool to see the archive footage during the credits to show that people around the world did come together to save a small family of whales.

August 14
               The Associate (Directed by Donald Petrie) I don't know why I enjoy watching this movie because it is stupid and not overly funny. Having said that if I come across it on TV I usually stop to watch it or I record it. It is funny to see that back in the 90's they made it seem like all you needed to create a fake identity was Windows 95 and AOL.

August 15
               Starship Troopers (Directed by Paul Verhoeven) I saw this movie opening night almost 16 years ago and ever since it has been a guilty pleasure of mine. My dad and I went to the RiffTrax screening of this film and had a GREAT time. The movie itself is cheesy beyond belief and the acting by the bugs is more believable than Denise Richards.

August 16
               Avatar (Extended Edition) (Directed by James Cameron) I know people will take shots at this movie but I enjoy it. Visually it is beautiful and though the story isn't original it is told well. I am not so sure we need all the sequels they are supposedly planning but the first one is fun to watch from time to time. That does include the 3 hour extended version.

               Kick-Ass 2 (Directed by Jeff Wadlow) This movie had some good parts but it had many more bad parts. It felt very inconsistent and lost its flow from the first film. The high school 'Mean Girls' story line was very predictable and didn't belong in an action movie.

               The Whole Nine Yards (Directed by Jonathan Lynn) They should have never made a sequel to this comedy, it ruined the fun of the first one. I like the cast as a whole in this movie and I thought Matthew Perry did a good job as the neurotic dentist.

August 17
               Batman (Directed by Tim Burton) To continue my now weekly Michael Keaton viewing I went with Tim Burton's Batman. It is interesting to see the difference between this Batman and Nolan's trilogy. Burton's Batman focused more on the battle of Batman and The Joker while only developing a couple supporting characters. Nolan's Batman did a really good job of developing a lot of the supporting characters. He also found the right actors to fit the characters.

               Epic (Directed by Chris Wedge) There was nothing special about this mediocre animated film. The characters and voice actors were just ok. I liked the concept of the story but I also thought it was lacking in substance. It is a good movie for children but I like my animated movies to have a bit more depth compared to this.

Movies Watched: 379
Movies To Go for 2.0: 121

No comments:

Post a Comment