Stream

Sunday, August 11, 2013

365 Movie Challenge - Week 32

Week thirty-two included the completion of my 365 movie challenge  Just because I watched all 365 movies doesn't mean I am stopping there. Now begins challenge 2.0!

Below are my movies of the week:


August 4
               Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Directed by Shane Black) This is one of my Top 10 favorite movies of all time. It is so well directed, written and acted. If you are a fan of old school detective novels then you will love this movie. The mystery and character twists feel just like a detective novel and it is narrated like one too.

               Smokin' Aces (Directed by Joe Carnahan) Very fun action movie told from the viewpoint of multiple characters. The very last scene of the movie in the hospital with Reynolds giving up on his career to defend his partners honor is amazing to watch.

               Johnny Dangerously (Directed by Amy Heckerling) I was wrong about Michael Keaton! He was hilarious in this comedy. It reminded me of an old Mel Brooks film.

               The Longest Yard (2005) (Directed by Peter Segal) This Adam Sandler remake is a lot of fun to watch. The plot is fun, the characters are fun and so is the comedy. It isn't a movie that everyone will enjoy but I like the stupid humor it delivers.

               Commando (Directed by Mark L. Lester) Cheesy over the top action film with big death scenes using crazy weapons. But that is what we came to know Arnold for back in the 80's. Dan Hedaya doesn't make a very scary bad guy though.

August 5
               The Shawshank Redemption (Directed by Frank Darabont) I don't have a #1 favorite movie of all time because it might change depending on the mood I am in. But The Shawshank Redemption is easily in my Top 5 movies of all time. I don't know what it is but I start watching it and next thing I know over two hours have gone by and I have watched a great movie again. The story, the characters and the music all combine together to create one of the best movies ever made in my opinion.

               Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (Directed by Richard Marquand) It is still weird to see Hayden Christensen show up as a spirit at the end of the movie during a celebration. I know Lucas likes to tweak the series when he re-releases it but did he really have to add in someone who was only two when the movie originally came out?

               The Truman Show (Directed by Peter Weir) I remember seeing this movie in theater five times the summer it came out. I enjoyed it and it just happen to be the only movie playing when I got off work at the theater and before I got picked up, I didn't have my license yet. It has been at least five years since I have seen it and watching it now feels different since the idea of "reality television" is on every single TV network every day of the week.

August 6
               PCU (Directed by Hart Bochner) I LOVE this movie. I still remember seeing it for the first time on Comedy Central and laughing all the way through. I always hoped college would be like this, but we all know it isn't. This movie has provided me with so many quotes to throw out from time to time and when I do, I find new people that have seen and enjoy the movie.

August 7
               Office Space (Directed by Mike Judge) After being disappointed by Ron Livingston in Drinking Buddies I decided I needed to watch one of his better movies. Office Space is also a fun movie to watch when you want to unwind and not think about much about what you're seeing.

August 9
               Beetlejuice (Directed by Tim Burton) This was movie 365 for my challenge this year and I picked it because of the memories I have of seeing it for the first time 25 years ago. This is one of my favorite Tim Burton movies.

365 Movies in 221 Days

When I first started this challenge I wasn’t certain if I would reach 365 by the end of the year, let alone early August. Now that I have completed my initial challenge I am working towards challenge 2.0 now. My new goal is to watch 500 total movies by the end of the year.

August 10
               Weird Science (Directed by John Hughes) Classic John Hughes movie. This was the first Hughes movie I have watched this year but it won't be the last.

               I Got Next (Directed by Ian Cofino) This documentary about a few guys who play Street Fighter in tournaments was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be more about the culture of video games and tournaments but it focused only on Street Fighter. Street Fighter was fun to play back in the 90's and early 00's but it doesn't appeal to me much anymore.


               Cloud Atlas (Directed by Tom Tykwer & Andy Wachowski & Lana Wachowski) I have been holding off on watching this movie for months because of mixed reviews from people. I finally watched it and though I am confused about a few parts I really enjoyed the movie. Besides the storyline being very interesting the movie was visually stunning and the score was beautiful to listen to.


Movies Watched: 368
Movies To Go for 2.0: 132

No comments:

Post a Comment